Topic: Train journeys

I love train journeys. So relaxing and with some good views and a nice mix, you cannae beat it.

Has any robot been on any epic train journeys? We're talking orient express, darjeeling railway, transiberian...

Would be interested in some stories and recommendations.

Re: Train journeys

http://vienna-pyongyang.blogspot.com/20 … began.html

i remember i killed a few hours one afternoon reading that, it's detailed as hell with shitloads of pics.

don't have any stories of my own tbh, the longest train journey i've been on is glasgow to aberdeen, which is actually quite a nice journey for scenery, although hardly epic smile.

I remember drving up there, the scenery was amazing. Thanks for the link. Checkn it out now.

4 (edited by Scarface 2010-06-30 16:35:06)

Been with the Transmongolian Express last year. Done it with my girlfriend through a (group)travelagency. It was quite an amazing trip and the trainpart isn't always that spectacular (it can be even boring sometimes) but it's mostly relaxed that has to be said although when crossing the border the police (especially the Russian) is a real pain in the ass (I suppose they have their reasons). Here you see the trip:

http://www.djoserusa.com/images/destination_0039/kaart_XXX.jpg

And here some info: http://www.djoserusa.com/trans_siberian_express/2727/

"Are you loving?"

5 (edited by baz 2010-07-06 08:53:57)

Nice Scarface. Isn't that quite expensive?

I didn't do much epic train journeys but 3 years back I did an all over Europe interrail: 9 countries in East and Western Europe in 30 day's visiting cities, festivals and beaches. That was quite a nice experience smile

6 (edited by Scarface 2010-07-06 22:59:00)

It costs some but it includes also a lot (just read the info on Djoser). During the journey I saw people and students doing the same trip who said they were on a low budget so I think you can save some money here and there.

Interrail and doing a lot of European cities sounds nice! Not that you mention it I remember doing a backpacking-trip by train to Italy (Milan) and from there to Venice, Firenze, Cingue Terre and Milan. That was during my early twenties (before I caught on the italo-disco virus).
And the first trip I ever did on my own was by train to Paris, stayed there five days and then back.

"Are you loving?"

7 (edited by Leo Slayer 2010-07-07 17:56:15)

Interrailed starting in Madrid Toledo then the Basque country few days in San Sebastien then Cross country to Barcelona and Tarragona for a  few days the journey round to France was excellant. Stopped at Perpignan, Nimes and Nice when France won the European Championship all night street party visited Caen then hit Grenoble camping, followed by Annecy by the lake and then Geneva where the wall of Protestants was a highlight. Then Paris staying in the outer suburbs, then four days of mushrooms in Amsterdam and a free flight home.

http://protestant.christianityinview.com/images/protestant/refwall.jpg 

We used to pick a Beard du jour on the statues when travelling. Oh and the crazy people I met out drinkig on my own when my dumb freinds went to bed. Ex Army in Bosnia, Algerian refugee painter, the Moroocan who tried to mug me who I knocked out in Nice, the nympho Aussie girl on the train, the frat boys from Carolina on the night train to Barcelona, the old lady we stayed with who I watched bullfighting with, the ETA supporters I met the night we had a bonfire in the street, Tom the Swiss stoner who worked in a hospice, the Illigel immigrants in Paris, the Croat guy who lost his brother in the civil war, the french boy who played for Auxerre and had a Rangers shirt.

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

8 (edited by ytz 2010-07-07 18:26:05)

never mind...

cuties don't exert

sorry, this does not match the topic of "epic train journeys", but: when the "räthische bahn" in switzerland was declared world cultural heritage a few years ago i liked the pictures that were published with the newspaper article. haven't been there yet though.
http://www.fsmat.at/~defcat/RhaetischeBahnWeltkulturerbe1.jpg
http://www.fsmat.at/~defcat/RhaetischeBahnWeltkulturerbe2.jpg

I secretly love 'Rail Away'. It's such a relaxing show.

Last April I was in Morocco for my work and I couldn't fly back to the Netherlands due to the ash cloud. I then arranged a flight to Barcelona and a train trip from Barcelona to Cerbere, from Cerbere to Paris and from Paris to Rotterdam. When I was in the train to Cerbere I was finally relaxing thinking that I'd get home. Little did I know that there had been a strike in the south-western parts of France, so when I arrived in Cerbere my train to Paris wasn't going. I then had to take a bustrip to Perpignan and luckily could catch the Bullet Train to Paris early next morning. It was quite an adventure.

The Jungle Railway sounds like big fun.

Ive done a 3 week trip from The Hague > Prague > Krakow > Budapest > Croatia (small villlage) > The Hague
And a 2 week trip from in Indonesia from Java, Bandung > Yogyakarta > Malang and then the rest by minibus/boat to Bali and Lombok.
A train trip in Canada from Montreal to Vancouver wa supposed to happen this summer but is postponed.

Scarface wrote:

It costs some but it includes also a lot (just read the info on Djoser). During the journey I saw people and students doing the same trip who said they were on a low budget so I think you can save some money here and there.

Interrail and doing a lot of European cities sounds nice! Not that you mention it I remember doing a backpacking-trip by train to Italy (Milan) and from there to Venice, Firenze, Cingue Terre and Milan. That was during my early twenties (before I caught on the italo-disco virus).
And the first trip I ever did on my own was by train to Paris, stayed there five days and then back.

It was very nice, also been to the Siget festival during that trip smile
When the disco virus grabs you there is no money left to take train trips wink