Re: Bass Synth

Erroraudio wrote:

Don't get a sh-101 if you can get a sh-09 insted. Its like a J106 vs. J60.

y'know- after i sold my sh-101 my plan was to get an sh-02 instead, but i ended up getting a jupiter 4 (not good for bass lines). although, the nice thing about the 101 is the internal sequencer.
if i get the sh-09 or 02 then i guess i'll have to get the csq600 as well.

neudphoto wrote:
rloep01 wrote:

neudphoto - you could also check out some of the old yamaha cs monosynths

true- i used to be in a project where my bandmate used the cs-15 on every recording. has a really nice, unique sound to it.

also for a while the cs series synths were going for pretty cheap on ebay in the US, we scored a great condition cs-5 for maybe $250ish including shipping though that was maybe 2 years ago..

worship the potentiometer.

screenvinylimage wrote:
neudphoto wrote:
rloep01 wrote:

neudphoto - you could also check out some of the old yamaha cs monosynths

true- i used to be in a project where my bandmate used the cs-15 on every recording. has a really nice, unique sound to it.

also for a while the cs series synths were going for pretty cheap on ebay in the US, we scored a great condition cs-5 for maybe $250ish including shipping though that was maybe 2 years ago..

how is the cs5? i've seen a few go for about £200 also. good sound?

i think there are varying opinions about them mostly b/c they are kind of weak (1 osc) and i think the filter isn't as good as a moogs, but i really like ours a lot.

we used it live a bit and it is built really really solid with a nice long cord, both a plus in the world of gigging, but it's a great synth to pull out for recording too, we just used it on a few tracks actually.

also, according to vintage synth explorer, both mode and the banshees used it so that is good enough for me. smile

worship the potentiometer.

neudphoto wrote:
ProjectGenocide wrote:

or what about an arp axxe? great little synth

whoa- the arp axxe looks great. wonder where i can find one of those guys. looks rare.

Speculator's music shop had one before the summer

teknob wrote:

thing about arp stuff vs korg or roland, is that it is so much more fragile, especially now, after 30 odd years. all of the arps i knew personally are no longer with us. not sure how sequential are in that regard

i used to own an axxe witch had no trouble at all.
and here in holland we have saint eric wink
The axxe is great! back in the days it was my only cv synth and i was unexperienced with that kinda stuff so decided to sell it. still regret it.... it was great to have your own r2d2 in your room tongue

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

neudphoto wrote:
Erroraudio wrote:

y'know- after i sold my sh-101 my plan was to get an sh-02 instead, but i ended up getting a jupiter 4 (not good for bass lines). although, the nice thing about the 101 is the internal sequencer.

Why not a midi to cv converter???

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Marco Tulio Thrash wrote:
neudphoto wrote:
ProjectGenocide wrote:

or what about an arp axxe? great little synth

whoa- the arp axxe looks great. wonder where i can find one of those guys. looks rare.

Speculator's music shop had one before the summer

cool. i didn't know he had a music shop. where is it?

Erroraudio wrote:
neudphoto wrote:
Erroraudio wrote:

Why not a midi to cv converter???

true- i have the Kenton Pro solo mkII. that should do the trick. wink i forgot it had a CV convertor. i only used it for the DIN sync convertor.

Yes where is Speculator's shop, I was just in Brooklyn and wish I'd visited but couldn't find any info online.

36 (edited by plikestechno 2010-09-15 19:03:08)

Buy an SH-2 and be done with it. It's quite funny that they basically go for the same price as an SH-09 now and I fight the urge to buy one everyday. I traded my SH-09 for modules a few months back in an offer so good I couldn't resist. And I kinda don't want or need anymore keys in the studio. Partially room, partially I don't trust people to ship keyboards properly anymore.

In the states they are selling hilariously cheap now like for between 500-700 USD.

I've had two MC-202s and a SH-101 now and still sometimes I think of buying a MC-202 again for my modular. But I just don't like how they sound. Also when I buy them, I buy them cheap so when I need to sell something they are always the first thing to go as I make some money on it and they are easy to ship. If I loved them, I'm sure I would have kept one.

But still the MC-202 keeps calling, like I'm in Dr. Zhivago or something.

Yes the SH-2 and Pro-One are very good choices.  I've had many monosynths and these are the two I have now, The Pro-One is heavier and more versatile, the SH-2 is warmer and has much better hardware.  In the full spectrum of monos, they still are somewhat similar for bass sounds.

spec's shop is in greenpoint, on franklin avenue...its just a couple blocks away from the thing, near-ish to coco66, can't remember the address or cross streets off the top of my head. it's called pentatonic.
will is really good at self-promotion, as well all know.

and yeah, i agree, sh09/sh02 is the best bass synth for the price.
moog rogue is not a bad alternative in the ~500 range.
SEM is awesome but not great for bass.
also, nico, you should give me your ms20.

plikestechno wrote:

Buy an SH-2 and be done with it. It's quite funny that they basically go for the same price as an SH-09 now and I fight the urge to buy one everyday.

I agree that the small price difference between the two is surprising.  The second oscillator adds a lot even without sync.  I think it has something to do with the fact that they look very similar and that people rarely have a chance to do side-by-side comparisons.
The SH-09 uses lower grade components in the circuit, for example the caps are lower quality and tend to have gone by now compared to the SH-2.

That said the SH-09 is more than 1/2 an SH-2, but with the prices it's wise to put in a little more to get a 2nd osc.

yeah- the final verdict is the sh-2 or sh-09. the pro one is a very close second- we'll see, if i can find one in excellent condition for a reasonable price then i'll get it. the thing is that i own almost exclusively roland gear, so an SQ would be nice to add to the family.
as for the ms-20, it's great for making crazy sound efx and stuff- the bass is thunderous when blasted out of a 8x10 ampeg cab which i was doing a lot recently (shakes the building!), but it's just waay too gritty for the new sound i've been goin for.

anyways, thanks a lot for the advice robotos!!

in my experience, the sh2 doesn't add a whole lot to the 09 - the keyboard tracking is nice, as is sample and hold, but the second osc doesn't exactly add a whole new dimension to the synth, and it can barely be detuned. i'd prefer an sh2 to my sh9, but the difference isn't as striking as i would have expected. sh09 gets a few extra points for increased portability as well.
but yeah, they both kick the shit out of the 101.

what about the korg mono/poly? it has a clean sound as opposed to the gritty ms-20 and does great basses but can also do a lot of other sounds.

some people say the mp produce weak bass but that is just pure bullshit

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

139 franklin st between kent and java.

dx100 solid bass preset. digital synths have nice bass presets

BMX wrote:

some people say the mp produce weak bass but that is just pure bullshit

The monopoly is a bass Whore! From screaming to creamy. From Mews to Growling..

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Moog Source makes for a lovely bass synth.  Not the best interface for programming (and pricey nowadays), but it sounds fantastic and having 16 presets available would be nice for when you're playing live.

oh yeah system 100 101 is bassilicious.. also has the 303 filter i hear

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

48 (edited by teknob 2010-09-16 20:25:40)

BMX wrote:

oh yeah system 100 101 is bassilicious.. also has the 303 filter i hear

yeah the same diode ladder design, but about 8 years apart, so the components must be different.

http://fa.utfs.org/diy/roland_filters/index.html You can compare schematics

Before I got a 303 I used to do 303 emulation on the system 100 102, but I guess I was really insulting it by doing that.

And of course, the sh2 is the best bass synth out there. I just sometimes wish it had a HPF as well, as it can swamp your mix. You can always eq though. And the portamento doesn't work when receiving CV-gate, so u need a CV converter which will glide the CV (my MPU101 does not)

Minimoog no comment

beatrobot wrote:

Minimoog no comment

Minimoog = smooth bass master! = loan from the bank. ;/