Topic: Roland S-550 Power from US to Euro?

http://www.dancetech.com/aa_dt_new/hardware/images/Roland_S550_main.jpg

like i told on the new booty topic, i got a roland S-550 sampler for free, but it is originally from US/Canada or something. i was wondering what would be the best solution to get it working here in europe?

shoud i get some kind of converter. i still would need a US cable between the converter and the sampler, right?
or maybe try to replace the transformator inside the unit? the power unit looks like this..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3543499/s550-power.jpg

any ideas? .. and as i don't know much about this sampler, do you guys think it's worth all the trouble to get it runnin?

thanks!

Re: Roland S-550 Power from US to Euro?

in this instance any power cable will do the job, it need not be american. then straight to the step down.

sometimes roland stuff can be straight forward to rewire but that pcb looks to be set up for 110V only.

the power cable is no issue here, but if i buy some euro>us converter, i need a american roland 2 pin power cable between the converter and the sampler right?

but if i would find a replacement part for that 22453489 part there, that would do it, right?

ah i see, the problem is the power input. you could always just put an IEC socket in it's place.

you can find step down transformers which take eu plugs also.

i have those roland power cables, so that is again not the problem. i just think there will be "blue smoke" coming out of the unit if i plug it in.

as long as the unit is receiving the correct voltage there should be no problem. the shape of the connection is not a game changer. just use the eu roland cable and the step down transformer. bingo!

got it working.. strange enough as i was quite sure it woudn't (boot from the disk)... even got it to work with my monitor, but apparently you need a MSX mouse to control it properly (draw waveforms ect.). anyone have one of those?

There's one on eBay right now for €60 + €10 shipping. Heck, that's more than what the S-550 goes for these days  big_smile

They turn up regularly on the bay. At better prices, too.

Been meaning to get one for my S-330. Let us know if you find a better source.

found one site that sells them for something like 20e.. have to contact the seller

10 (edited by crc 2011-05-02 19:49:44)

having huge trouble assigning my sampled 808 sounds to certain keys. any tips in how to make a drumkit? the manual doesn't really help on this one tongue

EDIT: never mind, i figured it out. quite a fun sampler actually, just a litte bit too big in size.

Did you manage to find a mouse for it in the meantime?

Yeah, the Roland manuals of the era are written in elusive fruent Engrish. Figuring them out is quite like analyzing postmodern philosophy.

12 (edited by crc 2011-05-19 08:04:44)

postmodern philosophy for sure smile ..
i didn't get the mouse as i think the s-550 is a bit too much work to use.
i also found it really easy to operate from the front panel. the only thing i can't do is draw my own waveforms.
i did use it on a couple of songs and i must say i loved the results.

what i was looking for was mainly dirty sampled drums and now i got myself a korg es-1 for that purpose. i think it suits me better. also i noticed that the s-550 hasn't got the tightest midi. all the drumhits where a bit off all the time. adds a certain groove tho smile..

i'm still keeping the unit tho, as i still think it has some magic in.

the site selling msx mouses for 20e is here btw...
http://www.bas-ditta.info/verkoopenlink … engels.htm