1 (edited by Revok 2011-12-31 10:16:43)

Topic: [wanted] Juno 106

[edit: wrong section, can you move this, Rude?]

I have a @Juno-1 and a 60, might as well complete the family.

All IC's working, please. Or not, if you're willing to let it go for very little.

Possible trade with a JX-3P+PG-200 combo. Excellent condition on both.

I'm in Belgium.

Rvk

Re: [wanted] Juno 106

Imo you don't need a 106 if you have the 60. It has nearly the same functions plus arpeggiator and sounds more warmer. Do you have an midi interface? If you want the 106 for midi, then get an inteface for the 60. The JX-3P has much more possibilities (polyphonic stepsequencer!!! + 2 OSCs with sync etc.) than the 106. You might get the Kiwi Upgrade for the JX. It makes it a whole new synth: http://www.kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm

From a technical viewpoint you are correct, but in reality a Juno 106 has a fuller sound despite its single osc architecture. Compare the basses of the two. The JX-3P sounds a bit brittle to my ears. But the step sequencer is a nice bonus indeed.

I looked at the upgrade, but the only features I really want is simultaneous use of the PG-200 and midi, and midi local off. Bit expensive, then.

I have to admit I still have my doubts trading it in for a 106. I'll probably regret that at some point. And I'll probably never find a jx/pg combo in this nice a condition at the same price I got it for (€375).

Ok, if it's just for the PG-200 then you need this kit: http://organix.inque.org/index.php?page=jx-3p-upgrade which is cheaper, but out of stock. Maybe it will be continued this year or you can get one elsewhere. I use midi and sync/trigger at the same time with the 707 as master. So i can use the JX with PG-200 with other gear. The way to jam this way is much more intuitively for me.

If you look at the price you will see 106s and other "vintage" stuff has become more expensive in the last years. After the much sought-after gear has become unaffordable for people or "newbies" etc. other not so popular or still cheap gear will become more expensive. Sometimes I read comments like "I sold my Jupiter-4 for 300 bucks years ago. Hell! People are paying 1000+ these days?" I would not sell the JX for another synth which cannot replace it. And with the 60 you already have what the 106 can offer you imo.

5 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2011-12-31 15:43:26)

106 didn't get so much more expensive, it lost a lot of it's popularity because of the voices problems. If they have all been replaced, you'd probably look at 500, maybe 600 euro, but that's because 6 chips cost 250. Without, you can probably pick one up for 300, 350, often even less if the voices already show trouble... Which is pretty much the same as 10 years ago.

And imo the 60 sound much more full than the 106. 106 is thinner sounding, it has less body, less bass. That's what makes them a very good couple if you ask me.

6 (edited by automatique 2011-12-31 16:07:02)

In germany you pay for a 106 with issues around 350 up to 400€. For one without issues (serviced or not) 500 to 650€ or more (which is too much, indeed). If you're lucky 450 or 470€. Three or four years ago the normal price was up to 400 (max). Maybe 100 Euro more is not that much in times everything got more pricy. I always wanted a 106 (and have the 60 and the JX-3P), but since I tested one and infact of the price I don't want one so badly anymore wink There are other synths.

Well maybe it's also cause everybody and his mom is on the dutch synthforum here, perhaps that forum does influence prices as far as holland is concerned.
Soundwise, I always doubt about getting a jx3p when I get the chance but I never do it. I already have a 60, 106 and jx8p so it just seems overkill, there's a lot of overlap between the 4. I'd be more interested in a Alpha Juno, come to think... But then again, the jx3p does have it's own rather analogue character, just like the 106 isn't exactly a 60 and the jx8p isn't exactly a 106...

Brian Chinetti wrote:

And imo the 60 sound much more full than the 106. 106 is thinner sounding, it has less body, less bass. That's what makes them a very good couple if you ask me.

Exactly. It sits right in between the 60 and the Alpha, that's why it seems very useful to me. I'll get one if I can find it at the bottom end of the current market value (350-375€).

(The guy who makes the IC clones happens to live a few streets away from me...)

Anyway, I'm already picking a Siel Opera 6 tomorrow, so I shouldn't be running ahead of myself  roll

slightly ot: I don't own a Juno 106 myself, but once I visited a guy who had one and he had qualityl voice chips built in that don't break. Maybe thats an option when having the need to replace the voice chips?

Yeah those are absolutely an option. They're 50 euro a piece, if you want to replace them all it's 250 (including 50 euro discount). So it should influence the price imo. According to my tech guy the chips do sound different from the original ones, so he'd reccomend replacing all. They'll die inevitably, so might as well.

And there is also the trick to wash the chips with acetone. Most (?) people that tried it say it works, but there are a lot of doubts as to why and how long. It has been discussed here before as well.

Juno106 is worth it. Fits perfect within a alpha and juno60 setup.

buy one with all 6 old funky chips for cheap and just try this fix:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4lF0xSVQlg[/youtube]

AudaxPowder wrote:

buy one with all 6 old funky chips for cheap and just try this fix:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4lF0xSVQlg[/youtube]

Im disappointed this didn't involve ground coffee and pesto

don't forget to score a em-101 to make the family really complete  big_smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTvnZvTNWE8

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

Brian Chinetti wrote:

but there are a lot of doubts as to why and how long. It has been discussed here before as well.

My tech, who came up with this, says the plastic shell becomes conductive so removing it just makes the circuit work again, I'm not sure why this membrane was there in the first place, but I think this method is probably durable.

106s' can get pricy if you pay the usual 650$ and then get stuck with the voice problem, that's one of the reasons I got a 60.

it sure is nice to have a few Roland polyphonics, my Roland poly family is Rs-505,JP-4 and Juno-60