Topic: Spotify - interesting article

I found an interesting article about spotify and pandora.
The text itself might be found rather boring by most but I was surprised to see how little money these musicians seem to make from those online services. If the amounts mentioned in the article are really all an artist gains from sharing music through spotify or pandora then why would you even bother sharing it there at all? There are free alternatives which don't bug listeners with retarded commercials (like spotify who addresses it's users as if they're 3 year olds). Soundcloud jumps to mind but surely there are others.

The article itself: http://pitchfork.com/features/articles/8993-the-cloud/

Do any of you share similar experiences with spotify? I'm interested :-)

Just record it already!

Re: Spotify - interesting article

traditionally there isn't much money to be made from royalties per unit and it's getting less and less.
when all the music ever made is available for free what choice do you have but to give it away. the aim is to be heard so these sites provide that service. if the listener latches onto the music then there is the opportunity for the writer/performer to make some money from limited releases, live performances or merchandise which is where the money was always traditionally made anyhow. so in short it's a case of promote (give away) now to benefit later.

Re: Spotify - interesting article

i think of these streaming services like libraaries
i <3 liraries