1 (edited by olivier8 2008-09-11 18:50:13)

Topic: Sync help / Viscount drum machine

i'm the lucky owner of that beast since yesterday
Viscount PCM R64 Drum Machine
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/11/873537/DSCN0663.jpg
there are sync in & out at the back with a select switch
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/11/873537/r64%20back.jpg
i don't have the owner manual, i have no clue about the trigger signal i should use..it seems to be a step advance type thing
i tried a tr707 rimshot trigger, had to press "start" on the R64,  it locked to the correct tempo, just kinda offbeat..i tried to start it at different moments in the pattern but it always locks a little too late or early..tried the 3 switch positions but these didn't do anything..

on the other hand, the sync output worked a charm with my SH101 clock input.. i'm quite puzzled, because that probably means the sync In & out are not the same signal, i tried to sample the trigger output and send it back into the trigger input but it's just a mess...maybe it's a Korg type signal i need but i'm not familiar..

i need robotic help.. to sync that bitch

R64 presets demo

Re: Sync help / Viscount drum machine

Ok...apparently the 3 ways switch affects the trigger output only

3 (edited by Forax 2008-09-11 20:01:35)

yeah it sounds like the trigger could be a S-trig type.. where the voltage is held high and a trigger occurs when it goes low.  if you feed it a V-trig from the TR-707 (which is opposite of S-trig.. voltage held low, goes high on a trigger) the drum machine will advance on the falling edge of that trigger.. the problem is the triggers have pulsewidth of a few milliseconds so it will lag slightly behind.
       _____
____|       |_____

^^ viscount sees the voltage go low on the falling edge of a v-trig

you can build a little converter cable which i've been meaning to do for my korg mono/poly arpeggiator

waow neat! so i don't even need to actually buy anything like an expensive converter...cool.

one of these will do??
http://www.doepfer.de/faq/strig_e.gif

thanks Forax

so i got V-trig-->S-trig cable made by a friend and it just doesn't work, at all...FAIL!!

but i found a way around, if i use the 707 patterns on the higher scale position and place the rimshot triggers on every second note, then i can roughly adjust the R64 placement using the shuffle position...then fine tune with the main tempo (works great between 110/130)

even better, if i press start on R64 i hear the first step but it stays on stand-by mode until i start the master clock smile

that will probably do for the moment, but i'll definitely look into what exact sync standard that machine uses.

The machine is not programable i heard, only static rhythm patterns?

i capitalize on a Foxtrot revival

8 (edited by Erroraudio 2008-09-12 17:20:23)

olivier8 wrote:

i capitalize on a Foxtrot revival

LOL... I'll buy the first 12"

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud