Topic: Wireless music at home

I'm looking for a solution to get my music wireless into different rooms in my apartement.

As i found out, there are basicly 2 possibillities.

1. the Airport way. Music that is played on the computer is getting streamed on WLan and I can hear like that simultanously the same music in every room.

2. the Sqeezebox way. Logitech, phillips and some others offer solutions where I can recieve IP radio-streams form the internet and have access on my Music Database thru Wlan. As Logitech and philips told me. those devices are not able to play the music that is played on the computer.

So I have the choice. Either i buy a system wich enables me to listen the same music in every room of my appartement or I get a system where I can choose the music individual in every room.

I would like to have the choice. does anyone of you know a system where I get both possibillities?

Re: Wireless music at home

I think there ar in-car FM transmitters, so you can listen to your player on the radio. Maybe this also works in the house?

I dont think they would be strong enaough to send into different rooms.  For that I wold choose an airport.

the thing is I look for something that can do what the airport (or those FM transmitters) can AND I want to be able to have individual acces on my database and on radiostreams.

I cannot believe nobody invented that yet.

Mr. Maximal wrote:

I think there ar in-car FM transmitters, so you can listen to your player on the radio. Maybe this also works in the house?

I have a belkin tunecast but it only transmits a weak signal. It needs to be within about a metre of the radio for it to get picked up. Fine in the car, not so fine for Cosmo (unless he lives in a rabbit hutch)

Stick an iPod in your backpocket...

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

It is possible to start your own internet radiostation. Just start transmitting from your computer with shoutcast or something like that (even vlc can do that) and pick your ip up with that philips thingie, now you have both things you wanted...

7 (edited by Cosmo 2008-09-12 07:43:22)

My home is my castle :-)

http://www.pitschedapper.de/assets/images/Kaninchenstall.jpg

@baz thank you. that  sounds like a good work around. I'm gonna try that

and you can set up even multiple streams on the same server, so one for each of the genres you want to listen to smile