1 (edited by plikestechno 2008-10-14 19:40:53)

Topic: 100V? Is 110V really gonna fry it?

I bought this the other day. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dllVie … 0295289161 (Pearl DrumX drum brain.)

But he suggests he get a convertor for it to use in NA. Anybody else buy anything from Japan?

What's really the big difference between 100 and 110v? It's not like a jump from 110c to 220/240v or anyhting. I've seen them both 100/110v listed on some products before.

Is it frequency that's more important than anything? Like 50hz or 60hz or whatever.

I'm not a real gearhead so I'm asking. I don't want to blow this up when it gets here.

Thx
P

Re: 100V? Is 110V really gonna fry it?

100 vs 110 is not really a big difference... (110 vs 220 is.. )

Plug it in plug it in! smile

nice machine btw, I once owned one but still regret givin it away...

TB or not TB

it didnt saw before that its from Japan.. but isnt that the same standard as US but maybe other connectors?

TB or not TB

Yeah!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

all good.

ooh I was looking at that one! It seems nice! Could you hook us up with some examples of how it sounds when you get it up and running?

7 (edited by plikestechno 2008-10-15 20:04:31)

It seems like people that own it are really happy with it. I like that there's 8 kits. so it's not just five sounds. Technically it's 40.

Got the tracking number so it's on its way!

But yeah, some stories of North American people buying old Japanese gear and just plugging it in would make me feel better about plugging this in when it gets here.

plikestechno wrote:

It seems like people that own it are really happy with it. I like that there's 8 kits. so it's not just five sounds. Technically it's 40.

Problem is that there is always a gap between the pitch. But the cool thing is that you can switch and store patches, I only don't remember if you could hear the switch..
Its a very nice and usefull machine, it sounds a bit like a mixture of a Tama Techstar with a touch of Simmons but only less control. Bass and toms of the Pearl-X are very nice and pretty solid.

TB or not TB

maybe the seller mentioned the convertor for European buyers..

TB or not TB

Yeah, that's what I thought but after I won he explicitly emailed me and said to use a convertor. But maybe he thinks Canada is 220/240.

And what do you mean, pitch gap?

11 (edited by plikestechno 2008-10-22 06:33:44)

An equipment tech at work just said to plug it in.

Got it tonight, yeah I see about the pitch gap.

Hooked it up to the st-305 and it beat me loud for an hour. Even my wife was like "Damn, that machine's awesome babay!"

It's output is LOUD, crazy thick and kicks you in the teeth. Mean amazing kicks (the best of anything I've got), snare is kinda weird but I can find uses. Tom seems like they're basically pitched up basses until you start playing with the nuances. Overtone is really weird. It's almost like detune or something.

It will be a nice partner with the Techstar 306 (the one with synth and handclap) that's on the way with six pads. As a bonus I can use the pads with the Pearl too.

40 storable (instantly recallable) patches on an analog drum synth? Good enough for me. Whoever had this before must have made minimal wave or industrial music. The tones were all really dark until I brightened some of them up.

plikestechno wrote:

Hooked it up to the st-305 and it beat me loud for an hour. Even my wife was like "Damn, that machine's awesome babay!"

ha ha, cool! smile

congrats with your new electronic friend, seems that you 2 will get along fine smile

TB or not TB

13 (edited by plikestechno 2008-10-22 18:25:38)

If anyone is interested in one there is one on Ebay right now under its more common name the DRX-1. The whole set with pads. Reserve price is $300. http://cgi.ebay.com/Pearl-Electric-Drum … dZViewItem

I paid $130 for the drum brain but would LOVE to get a hold of that manual.

The Hollow Sun guy has some nice things to say about it too. http://www.hollowsun.com/donations/drx1/index.html

Damn, I love this machine. I'm so glad I bought this thing even though shipping from Japan was hilarious.

I got up an hour early before work to play with it this morning and I never wake up early.