Topic: Alesis 3630???

Does anyone have opinions on the Alesis 3630?  I wanted a cheap limiter/gate with good sidechain function.  The DBX 166XL has a nice, choppy sidechain sound but that unit is more than I wished to spend.

Re: Alesis 3630???

i have one and i like it.
i use it both for sidechain and master and it does the trick very well, it took me a while to find the correct settings..
built like a tank, mine was used for system protection for years in a bar and had a 2mm layer of dust and shit on the front panel..still works great.

i think Joemeek does the best Comp/limiters though, bit pricey but well worth...
(they say "optical compressor" on the front panel..what's the deal?)

http://www.joemeek.com/

I would say it is not a "good" compressor, but it does what i does well. It is more of an effects compressor in that you can really tell things are being compressed. That works out well if you are planning on using it for things like sidechain compression, where you want to hear a lot of pumping. 
If you are looking for a good sounding compressor that is a little more of an all around unit, I would recommend the FMR RNC. These are much more useful as an all around utility compressor.

basscakes wrote:

I would say it is not a "good" compressor, but it does what i does well. It is more of an effects compressor in that you can really tell things are being compressed. That works out well if you are planning on using it for things like sidechain compression, where you want to hear a lot of pumping. 
If you are looking for a good sounding compressor that is a little more of an all around unit, I would recommend the FMR RNC. These are much more useful as an all around utility compressor.

i agree on Fmr Rnc. Great piece of gear for little money.

I just noticed you were looking for a gate also, I would just look for a used DBX in that case.

This is the Daft Punk compressor. If it is what you are looking for, then there is no better - and usually you can bring
it home for around 50-100 euri.

About the Fmr, I agree that it stands good for the bucks you pay...
Of course, JM is inside the "best of the breed" circle, but that goes for an important price tag.

@Olivier8
this might answer your question:
http://www.focusrite.com/answerbase/article.php?id=176

i'm not looking for a vocal compressor.  i wanted to use the sidechain on one side and use the other to cut some fuzz from a tm7 distortion pedal.  i've played with a dbx 166xl ad was impressed but didn't want to spend $200.  the 3630 seemed like a cheap alternative.

definitely get the 3630 then.

Stalker wrote:
basscakes wrote:

i agree on Fmr Rnc. Great piece of gear for little money.

the RNC is fantastic for general compression use. the side chain works nicely on it too. has anyone used the RNP8380 before?

worship the potentiometer.

yeah 3630 does the job,
I had it once also but I noticed mine was a bit tricky to use,kinda weird behaviour.I got it 2nd hand tho...
Now I got a 266 dbx...rock solid and works really well....cheap also

malleus maleficarum wrote:

Does anyone have opinions on the Alesis 3630?  I wanted a cheap limiter/gate with good sidechain function.  The DBX 166XL has a nice, choppy sidechain sound but that unit is more than I wished to spend.

I don't know about the 166XL, but I think the DBX 166A is what you want.  The XL does not have a release function on the gate.  On the 166A you can chop the sound 100% when the gate threshold is up all the way, and the gate release is down all the way.  Then put a sound(16th note clicks or whatever) through sidechain and you get a very clean chopping sound.  I've tried this on a berhinger, and the RNC compressor and neither will produce the same effect, the chopping is not 100%.  The noise gates on logic pro do a great job of this, but on logic express you can't use sidechains.  I'd like to try this on the Alesis 3630 myself, seeing that they are so affordable.  Maybe it's a noise gate that your after, and not a compressor.

just picked up a 3630 for $60.

olivier8 wrote:

i think Joemeek does the best Comp/limiters though, bit pricey but well worth...
http://www.joemeek.com/

Are you joking???

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud