Topic: roberto onofri odyssey - bad master, pressing, ...?

i just dug up two copies of this and they both have the following issues:

side a has a scratch at pretty much the same place towards the end of the track. i first noticed on a copy i left at most complicated's place and then looked at the copy i left at my place. haven't side to side compared them yet but it sure looks like the scratch is the same size, at the same place.

side b sounds really wobbly especially in the second half of the song. it sounds as though the grooves are not centered when in fact they are perfectly so. they seem to have fucked up somewhere in the mastering or so.

so, does anyone here have roberto onofri - odyssey to enlighten me about his/her copy and the aforementioned issues?

Re: roberto onofri odyssey - bad master, pressing, ...?

no idea, but you're lucky to find 2 copies of this (even if they sound bad)

well what's the use if i can't play them because one side is scratched (ok, could still play it but need to mix in next track before the scratch) and the other wobbly like a battery operated belt drive portable turntable from the 60s...

if all copies show these issues at least i can sell/trade one of them...

JamesTRubotnik wrote:

wobbly like a battery operated belt drive portable turntable from the 60s...

lol smile

jogi has a copy of it, and he's also on this formum, perhaps he can tell you more. also 4mat has a copy, but I think he has problems replying emails cos he never did to mine... I mean 4mat has mostly everything. You can also try scheul he also has huge amounts of italo, and he's way kinder...

most complicated robot wrote:
JamesTRubotnik wrote:

wobbly like a battery operated belt drive portable turntable from the 60s...

lol smile

i once had one of these, but the motor must have been wasted or something. bottom line: it looked nice but sounded shit. of course it didn't like the deep grooves of dance records either. plus i was always scared it might destroy my records so i eventually returned it to the eternal brocki-cycle.

also had 2-3 copies in the past...always the same defect, always the same scratch...
guess this scratch was made on all copies during the pressing procedure in the factory.
really bad and unprofessional...
probably they have pressed "Sensitive - Give me" at the same day in the same factory...
such a kind of "defect" you also will find on this record (A Side), the scratch and its "place"
is very similar to the one of the Onofri Vinyl! (towards the end of the track..)

i really wonder that Lombardoni did not decide for a new pressing, finally he paid money for it...
guess he did not think much of that matter and sold this stuff to the wholesellers...done! haha
same for this crappy pressings of Jaco...(just a handful of copies are pressed the right way)...
unbelievable...

Indeed not always succesfull pressing...
- I remember one time at il discotto: I saw approx 500 copies of TROPHY - "Slow Flight" ready for destruction

Always on two turntables, one take, no edits, bla, bla...

I think that tells us a lot of how people considered italo disco in those days...

mcr: you have an excellent point there, my friend. that's why it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg nowadays. but some of it does.

jogi: thanks very much for the insight! so i actually can sell my copies as NM even if they're crap. joy! i wouldn't want to have to have this one in my collection just for completion sake or just because i have to own it.

oh, and flemming: even if anybody had saved those 500 copies from destruction i don't think that would make such a huge difference today...

Hey mcr and jtr:
"life is strange" - well at least I think it a bit strange to see those eBay and Discogs sellers making lots of money by selling italo records to insane high prices....

12 (edited by most complicated robot 2008-11-10 22:34:33)

it is strange indeed. And annoying. Diggin is still free though. jtr became such an experienced digger lately. Do you still look for records FD? I'm curious, there must be not much that you don't own it already.

btw: how's this movie going?

>And annoying. Diggin is still free though
he he yes very true mcr

<Do you still look for records FD?
A bit strange also - back in the 80ies I really got EVERYTHING which I liked... back then.
But 25 year after other records are suddently hot.... I guess style change a bit.
- so yes now and then I find something missing in my collection.

Hysteric gave me a nice tip this summer and 3 weeks ago my good friend Jogi help me with a VERY rare italo record..

So that's what I love about italo.... it's just goes on and on wink

>btw: how's this movie going?
ahhh well unfortunally I had to postpone some shoots/takes yesterday at my house - due to some family stuff.

14 (edited by most complicated robot 2008-11-10 23:06:05)

Flemming Dalum wrote:

a VERY rare italo record..

now i'm curious
and, I was wandering around, what's that transmania you have on your ms page? sounds nice

Flemming Dalum wrote:

a VERY rare italo record..

now i'm curious

It's a really nice one and will be in a mix soon smile

and, I was wandering around, what's that transmania you have on your ms page? sounds nice

ahhh thanks well one of my very first edit's - it was meant to the b2 track on the original Diskokaine release.
But then Gomma picked it up and the official release was with nice remixes by Patrick Pulsinger and Alexander Robotnick ... which is fully understandable.

So my little edit only exist on 5 or 10 test pressing wink

Don't need 5, I'm happy with one copy, should I send you my address smile

mmmm: ok then, let's keep it as a surprise then, but you shouldn't bother that much, if it's rare, well, it will remain so. You gave jogi aldin magic sound didn't you?

please continue this at the "am I gay" section...

18 (edited by most complicated robot 2008-11-10 23:43:04)

is there one?
you know I listen to italo disco, I must be gay

smile

20 (edited by waxHead 2008-11-11 01:33:34)

is there one?
you know I listen to italo disco, I must be gay

LOL!  Guess I'll be posting there as well... wink