Topic: Tinnitus

Ok, so I caught the yearly cold/flu, and have been staying home from work the last two days.
Instead of wasting time in bed watching bad tv, I saw it as a perfect occation to make some tunes.
When I went off to bed last night after spending nearly all day in my humble homestudio, I noticed a high ringing noise like after being at a concert but I didn't think more about it, just expecting it would be gone next morning.
It didn't.
I have allways had a bit of noise in my ears, but now fear that I have made it worse.
I mostly work with headphones on when I compose to hear the finer details in sound and then in the end mix with monitors.
But working with headphones I guess must be hard for the ears, but in the creative "trance", I forget to turn down the volume once in a while.

What are your experiences with this, and what are your methods for avoiding eardamage in a studio?
Any tips?

Re: Tinnitus

Well you said you caught the yearly flu, there might be a big change it has more something to do with that?

I have this (mainly in one ear) for some time now. Sometimes there is an extremely annoying ringing for like two weeks, but then it goes down to a more managable level. Apparently it also has to do with fluids / pressure in your ears. So with a little luck it is not permanent.

One thing is for sure, I am now paying the price for all the partying and DJ'ing I did in the past. Wherever I go, I check volume everywhere and wear earplugs when necessary.

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Well you said you caught the yearly flu, there might be a big change it has more something to do with that?

He he, I have actually thought about that. I can only hope.
But still, I'm a bit worried about the risk working with headphones..

I also have tinnitus and the flu makes it worst (I actually only notice it when I'm pretty sick, otherwise I just don't hear it), but it always goes away when I get better. Wait it up if can, it will probably get a whole lot better once your sickness is gone.

6 (edited by fantomas 2008-12-06 13:52:05)

you could check yourself your ear dynamics response sensitivity after the flu is gone
http://m2.sourcingmap.com/smap/images/item/n/07a/ux_a07032900ux0021_ux_n.jpg
guess would be healthy again the heal depot topic smile

don't use headphones. they're not only bad for mixing, but will also give you hearing damage. as any dj over 35 can tell you.. big_smile

I have more sensitive ears too when i have the flu, especially for higher frequencies. My advice is: don't listen for too long on loud headphones. Use earplugs, or if you don't have those find a filter cigarette, strip the filter, split it in half and use those, it works very well for me. Also if your ears have been exposed to much loud sound it's supposedly wise to take magnesium pills. I read that that restores the rest in your ears. (i heard that they use that in the military when peoples ears have been exposed to loud explosions

9 (edited by Netrom 2008-12-07 16:13:18)

ok. thanks for advise.
I like to use headphones while making drumsounds, synthpatches, etc.. but then I forget to take them off when I start to compose.
maybe putting small "take 'em off!" post-it notes around my gear would help the dicipline.

Nice trick with the magnesium pills. We used to do that back in Da Nang...

edit: and yes, there's a possibility that it's the flu causing it.
That would be embarrassing...
roll