Topic: Jupiter 6 or Yamaha FS1R AND Oberheim Matrix 6R or effects or...

If you had about $1000 US what would you get?

I've been bouncing the FS1R in my head since I've been thinking of a DX anyway and the used price seems to have dropped a bit and it seems everybody loves them. That formant thing looks like it would be fun to play with. And then the Matrix 6R as another Polysynth.

If I already have a JX-10 is a Jupiter 6 worth it? Will it add much to my kit?

This seems to be my current dilemma. Guy never sent my Octave Cat SRM (boo!) so suddenly I have a bunch of extra dough.

Or maybe effects. I could use some. I have been thinking of getting the Akai MFC42 and some other things. What box of delays and choruses and filters and such could I load up on in the used market for that much?

Or maybe like Tony and start a modular. And then I can just keep adding to it here and there.

Basically, a baby is coming, and this is kind of my fat last stack of jack for awhile. With a modular I could keep adding for a coupla hundred bucks here and there but big buys will probably go buy the wayside. Don't need anymore drum machines or monosynths or VAs. Want something to fill in the gaps.

Re: Jupiter 6 or Yamaha FS1R AND Oberheim Matrix 6R or effects or...

If you can get a Jup 6 for 1000$ then get it!

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

if its the last thing you are going to get...why not buy a second hand Clavia Modular or something? Then you are all set

Yeah, I think I am going to try and swing a G1 Modular and an FS1R for $1000. If I'm patient I can do it.

Is there anything particular about the FS1r that you're after?  The Nord Modulars are very powerful FM synths on their own.

I don't have any other FM synths. Well, the Waldorf kinda has FM. A lot of my music and ideas revolve around really odd, alien choirs so apparently the FS1r is really good at that. The CZ-5000 has actualy made some crazy and beautiful choirs thus far too.

So yeah, I think if I go with the Modular g1 and Fs1r, I'll be able to make whatever I want as far as weird choirs and pads go. I think that's what I'm gonna target.

The NM G1 has a decent formant/vowel filter module and a vocoder, so yeah between those two machines you should probably have enough really odd alien choirs to last you a while.  smile

There is only FM in the G2 versions, you can do some kind of rudimentary "analog" style FM in the classic versions

why don't you get a cheap ass rompler a Korg Triton/JD990/EMU whatever those are the business if you want to have choirs

The G2 has the DX routers and operators which makes working with FM easier, but you can go quite a ways towards emulating them on the G1. 

For example, here's all of the DX-7 algorithms implemented on the original NM:

http://www.cim.mcgill.ca/~clark/nordmod … rithms.htm

Squadra Smackos wrote:

There is only FM in the G2 versions, you can do some kind of rudimentary "analog" style FM in the classic versions

why don't you get a cheap ass rompler a Korg Triton/JD990/EMU whatever those are the business if you want to have choirs

I think I just have to delve a little deeper into my EX5r (http://www.synthman.com/yamaha/311800.html) as opposed to getting the FS1r. It's pretty intimidating for a rookie synthesist like me but I have to dig into it more. But I think a G1 Modular is going to be a for sure purchase and will make some good use of some of this extra cash. Everyone I know that has one loves it.

11 (edited by TONY COPS 2008-12-31 22:36:14)

if you don't know what you need extra maybe it's because you  indeed need to delve deeper into the synths you already have.
It's probably deep in a menu somewhere wink

I'm planning to add a small modular to my kit to expand/process  the synths I have and be another mono sometimes, but also as a seperate hobby kind of.

Maybe YOU need to find real aliens and train them.
here's what you need

12 (edited by plikestechno 2009-01-01 10:46:39)

Hilariously when I got home from work tonight a package notice was at home for the CAT SRM. I know because I checked the trackingt through the notice number  even though for whatever reason the seller didn't reply to any of my emails. Oh well, will get it Friday. Hopefully it's still as nice as it looked like in the auction. This Scottish guy's three videos about it made me want it along with the fact I'd never be able to afford an Odyssey. This is the sounds one but his two demos are even better (love Scottish accents) http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=OHN1fc-ELpo

So at this point I think it's gonna be waiting for a used Nord Modular G1 in Canada and then turning down the synth buying and turning up the synth learning.