Topic: windows7 64

is nice. better than vista64. After almost 6 years windows can now have a gimped version of Expos

Re: windows7 64

ok

now tell us something about hardware consumption, please

you cant eat it

4 (edited by Poodle 2009-02-04 05:51:49)

im all over it tho haven't had time to install it yet but two of my rigs are about to run the beta in a couple of days one will have a fast ssd drive as win7 is actually made to run well on ssds (vista and xp hate ssds).

win7 takes up less ram than vista and plays in the same league as XP. it seems to be faster than both Xp and Vista when it comes to perfomance of almost any task. from what ive been seeing it looks like a winner in every way.

performance swedish but you can still see the performance bars

I've be reading the cakewalk forums (always lots of early adopters there) since the beta came out to see how it behaved with hardware and the wdm driver for my echo layla 3g seems to like win7 a lot so this should be really interesting....

I'll probably wait for sp2

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

I've been using it for about a week now on a 5 year old single-core P4 lappy, and I must say that I've been pleasantly surprised. Haven't done anything too heavy yet (no music or video) but it runs CS4 and a bunch of other software with the swiftness.

May have to purchase when the Beta expires.

I've got bad news - ableton 7 is actually running shittier than in Vista after prolonged tests. It might be the graphics driver.

There is something wack with Vista desktop drawing - might be 64 bit only issue. I could describe the bug here but I think everyone would just fall into a coma - the short version is that this shitty thing called Desktop Composition makes Ableton run very smoothly (in vista64). Turning it off makes Ableton crawl like you are running it on a 486.

lets pause to clarify that using CS4 in Vista/Windows7 is most definetly better with DComposition switched off, thanks to CS4 bullshit hardware acceleration or something.

So anyway, Ableton 7 in Windows 7 with Dcomp turned on or off, runs shitty no matter what...the more audio meter graphics you have animating on the screen, the crappier it runs. You can resize ableton to the smallest size, and midiinput goes back to being realtime responsive.

Hopefully you won't have to suffer this and it is just NVIDIA