1 (edited by Cosmo 2009-02-03 17:00:21)

Topic: Soldering a DIN 5 Pol Cinch Adaper

I bought an old record player last week (Dual 721) with a DIN 5-Pol Plug. The record player came with an adapter so I could connect it to my amplifier with cinch plugs. I thought it was strange that there are next to the 2 cinch plugs no cabel to connect to chassis ground
By using the adapter I had a loud humm on my speakers.

So I went to this electronics store and the guy told me that I would have to solder it for myself and that I would have to look up in the internet to know which pin I had to connect.

So I found this on Wikipedia:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/de/0/07/DIN-Stecker-Pinbelegung-Stereo.png

I'm a total novice in soldering so I  have no Idea what I did wrong. I still have the humm.

I tried 2 things
1. I connected the center pin of the cinchs with pins 3 and 5 and the outside of the cinch (ground) together with the chassis ground cable  to pin 2.
2, i did not connect the outer side of the cinch at all, but only the chassis ground cable to pin 2.

The humm in both versions sound different, but both loud. :-(

What do I do wrong?
thank you for your help.

Edit: typos

Re: Soldering a DIN 5 Pol Cinch Adaper

I dunno whats wrong but I do know you can just buy them here pretty cheap
http://www.allekabels.nl/din_kabels.html

But they are all without the extra mass cable. dont I need it?
I guess I order, wait and try.

Thank you smackos!

Ow... I know those cables work on a lot of old audio stuff I use them too in the studio here for some amplifiers, reel tapes etc. But maybe the recordplayer has a certain special one??? Do you have a link to that wiki article?

5 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-02-04 00:26:39)

Yeah that's what I was thinking. That picture is from a cassette player / cassette input on a amp (the word 'record' is a give away wink ), not from record player manual.  Back in those days they would think up all this weird configurations for those pins, it might as well be that the ground is on pin 1.

Ow, I suddenly remember... I have an old B&O recordplayer, and it has a screw for the ground on the chassis. The B&O amp which I also have has the same screw on the bottom of it's chassis. Maybe your Dual also has a ground from the chassis?

It is the german article about DIN Standard.
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN-Stecker
same thin in english:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_plugs

I thought Deutsche Industrie Norm would mean, that everybody did it the exact same way. and that if my record player can't record like a tape, I would just have to leave the record pins free. But its allways the same with those standards. I have a more modern problem with my home network were 2 routers of different brands do not communicate with each others. I feel like making a big fire in my backyard!!!! but back to topic:..)

I do have (a pretty low) signal on my speakers, so I assume pins 3 and 5 are correct for audio signal.
in the original manual that came with the record player it does not say anything about having ground from the chassis. everything is supposed to be wired in the DIN plug. But then I learned form the german hifi-forum that chassis ground and signal ground isnt the same. ppl there are argueing there about wether those two grounds should be connected or not. It sems like it is also depending on the amplifier that gets connected to. al i know is that I am not the only one struggeling with the modification to cinch. Im getting more and more confused.
I will try this weekend to use the ground from the Din plug only as signal ground on cinch and connect the two chassis as Brian suggested. I will let you know wether it worked out.

I was so happy to have a record player again so i can listen after almost 20 years to my teeny music again (bronsky beat, alphaville, Frankie goes to hollywood and lots of sins I will not mension :-) )

you probably also want to watch out for ground loops, they can be a nasty source of hums, too. I'm not sure though how much of a problem that tends to be with record players. This issue may come into play once you start messing with connecting signal/chassis ground.

8 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-02-05 11:22:02)

I re-read your 1st post, and see now you made an error. The 1st thing you tried came closest, but not quite.

I might be wrong but looking at it now you need 4 connections coming from the din: signal ground (pin 2), chassis ground (outer ring), left signal (pin 3) right signal (pin 5).

Left signal (pin 3) should be connected to the positive (center) part of the left RCA. The signal ground (pin 2) should be connected to the negative (ring) part of that same RCA.
Same thing for the right signal: pin 5 should be connected to the center part of the right RCA. Pin 2 should be connected to the ring.

The chassis ground should be connected to the ring of the DIN plug (the squarish looking part of the DIN ring, at the bottom of the image you posted). This is the chassis ground and should be connected to the amplifiers phono ground.

If that doesn't work I'm out of options...

I did exactly as you described Brian. Chassis Ground on the outer Ring of the DIN Plug did part of the trick. there is much less humm now. it took me a while to solder on the DIn plug. everything is so small and close together. not really made for clumsy fingered cosmo :-(

but there still is sum humm and on top of that the left channel is much louder than the right one.

I just found this:
http://www.zwillingssterne.de/download/ … -CINCH.pdf

It seemes like there are not just signal ground and chassis ground to be kept seperate, but also I have to split up signal ground for left and right channel in the record player.

the good news is, that at the place where I bought the new needle, to replace the original one from 1976, the guy offered me to bring along the record player so he would replace the DIN cable to RCA.
Since I ran out of patience I will let him do that.

Thank you for helping me. I just seem to be too unskilled to fix it myself. :-)

Well, at least you tried and gained some experience, which is never a bad thing.