Topic: Playing in the USA

I'm playing at a friends night in New York, Im not going to be getting paid for it.

If I get off the plane with records are immigration going to assume I'm there to work and not let me in?

2 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-05-04 18:01:39)

Re: Playing in the USA

I never traveled with records into the US, but I did travel a few times with music equipment and never had any trouble (knock on wood). They hardly ever ask what I do with all that stuff but if they do I just tell them I'm gonna visit friends and record some music.
I reckon it shouldn't matter whether you bring records or equipment, you can just tell them the truth: you're gonna play for at a friends party or a friends college radio show or whatever. Do check your bag before you pack it and get rid of flyers of parties you play(ed) at, no need to create suspicion.

Also make sure you have the address of your friend with you, you have to fill out a form with address and name and all that.

you might need to pre-register - here
http://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/

when i lived in new york i booked andrew weatherall to play a party for me. when he got through all the gates etc i asked him how he explained to immigration what he was doing with 70+ records. he told them he was playing his mates birthday party and gave the address he was staying at. no problems whatsoever after that

although we did have a big hassle at the gig because the bouncer asked to see his id to proove he was over 21. andrew didn't have any id on him and it took a lot of argueing before he was let in. i wouldn't mind but he looked 41 at the time

keep hackney crap

Cheers guys. Looks like telling the truth should help!