Re: using wordpress to run a music/band site...

well... Ed had a slack day at work, so I got him to research putting posts filtered by category onto pages.... And we now have posts categorised as "gig" displaying on their own page... yay!

...I might have to start working out what to do with the site's appearance sometime, at this rate.
:-)

I agree with Moguh, Stash seems really easy and straightforward for musicians. I've been meaning to download it and try it out. Right now I'm using ModX which works pretty good too. Wordpress and Joomla are great but I find that have way more options than what I need it for.

worship the potentiometer.

no-fi wrote:

well... Ed had a slack day at work, so I got him to research putting posts filtered by category onto pages.... And we now have posts categorised as "gig" displaying on their own page... yay!

...I might have to start working out what to do with the site's appearance sometime, at this rate.
:-)

Their theme dump page is a good way to get started in the meantime. There's a lot of gay designs but some cool ones. I'm using a predesigned theme on mine but changed some of the type with CSS.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

screenvinylimage wrote:

I agree with Moguh, Stash seems really easy and straightforward for musicians.

....you have no reservations that it's now abandonware???

I know nothing about web technology, but (or maybe thats why) the idea of having a website built on an abandoned set of tools really makes me nervous.

Right now I'm using ModX which works pretty good too.

actually.. that one does look cool, too....

damn. what would be cool, would be if I actually knew what half the features listed on the ModX site actually meant to me, practically... (or even what they just meant... I thought AJAX was for cleaning floors?)

Communicator wrote:

Their theme dump page is a good way to get started in the meantime. There's a lot of gay designs but some cool ones. I'm using a predesigned theme on mine but changed some of the type with CSS.

yeah.. I picked one that I think i can modify into something usable.
definately have a lot to learn about stuff like CSS first, but.

http://aquabahn.com runs on wordpress.  I chose it for content management, found a template I liked ( http://www.kaushalsheth.com/index.php?s=dark+ritual ) and tweaked the design to make it "un-bloggy".  I like that you can make "pages" in addition to your continual "post" updates... of course the built in rss and ability to integrate stuff like twitter and last.fm is fun too.

-tp

I know nothing about web technology, but (or maybe thats why) the idea of having a website built on an abandoned set of tools really makes me nervous.

oh wow, i didn't know it was no longer supported. thx for the heads up! guess i won't bother trying it out.

worship the potentiometer.