Re: District 9

Maiovvi wrote:

can anyone explain reasonably why they hated it outside of the quite silly "this sci-fi movie was far fetched" argument?

for the record I thought it was entertaining on the whole, but was essentially brain candy, slightly more intelligent than a Bruckheimer movie, but not nearly as clever as anything Verhoeven has done (Verhoeven being the king of sci-fi allegory)

i didn't like it just because of the overall feeling i had while watching it. i was very bored throughout. they didn't get too deep into characters and that's one thing i really like in movies. i didn't like the story, and if you're TRYing to be a movie that blurs the line between fiction and non-fiction (which i think it was trying to be) with the potential for the event to actually take place in the future then i do think some of the scenes were a little far fetched and i don't think it fit the movie well. there's a movie and a story for these wild and far fetched moments but i just don't think it fit with this movie. i definitely don't think it was a terrible movie but i wouldn't pay for it (like 98% of movies in the theaters today) and i think that a lot of the hype played a big part in my disappointment with it. just didn't enjoy it. plain and simple. smile

enjoyable film, allthough the part with the catfood trading was a little stupid

Vlam Aan

didn't catch the hype at all.. stumbled upon it a few days ago when searching a few movies for the ipod.

i liked the facial expressions of the father-prawn.. and the hanging mothership gives for some nice pictures.
besides that the beginning with the interview bits already put me off somehow. the story aftwerwards is like wet toiletpaper. (and not the kind that's supposed to be wet)

☂ bezoek okiland !

goedkope hapklare brokken SF, not even worth to save it on my HDD

Strictly Rockaas

just saw it, actually think its totally amazing, will go see it on the big screen!!! smile

56 (edited by Madame Strobonoid 2009-09-18 10:16:27)

MANASYt wrote:

just saw it, actually think its totally amazing, will go see it on the big screen!!! smile

smile Yeah Man!

Btw loads or most movies / music / books etc. have a commercial built up Hype which are released nowadays.  Compared to the new Tarantino crap this District 9 Hype is nothing ... smile

So let me get this straight. An advanced race from outer space hoovering like no tomorrow above Johannesburg, waiting to be liberated by the white supremacy race which we call mankind, only to be put in refugee camps for the forthcoming 20 years to be morphed in social outcasts because they have problems figuring out how to deal with their technical and physical overweight; to see no other way to phone home then to trade their groundbreaking advanced outerspace weaponary for...........catfood?

If you like to stick your prick in a nobrainer be my guest. But summer shitflicks who even try to make a half-baked social statement while a bad-acting The fly dresses up as brother Transformer dodging countless plotholes, are leaving me utterly lost how people even can be mildly entertained by this..

Sci-fi apartheid....what the dick man.

It just is..

58 (edited by MANASYt 2009-09-18 22:46:52)

hmmmm, what better alien related no-brainer have you seen in the last 20 years?
at least it didnt have Will Smith in it or any of those fuckers big_smile
you are way too critical, prawns and catfood - why the fuck not, at least it was original in my book.
beats the shit outta all the Hollywood crapfest of sci fi remakes or whatsoever...

well over 20 years its kult and ppl pay crazy money for a bootleg then tongue

Septicstudio wrote:

well over 20 years its kult and ppl pay crazy money for a bootleg then tongue

big_smile

Clockwork wrote:

So let me get this straight. An advanced race from outer space hoovering like no tomorrow above Johannesburg, waiting to be liberated by the white supremacy race which we call mankind, only to be put in refugee camps for the forthcoming 20 years to be morphed in social outcasts because they have problems figuring out how to deal with their technical and physical overweight; to see no other way to phone home then to trade their groundbreaking advanced outerspace weaponary for...........catfood?

If you like to stick your prick in a nobrainer be my guest. But summer shitflicks who even try to make a half-baked social statement while a bad-acting The fly dresses up as brother Transformer dodging countless plotholes, are leaving me utterly lost how people even can be mildly entertained by this..

you really want to meet aliens don't you.

Clockwork wrote:

jezus man.. you must really hate the film

Vlam Aan

63 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-09-19 12:31:15)

didn't like it that much .. it was ok but expected much better .. Now where are my Tarkovsky movies ..